How many people are in the Household?
What is the definition?
IRS and CPA Video on Tax Filing Status
- Claimed as a dependent Household Definition f 2
- Family Members? vs Household Question 15 A MC 262
- Married Couples Household definition f 4
- Not Claimed as Tax Dependent – Household Definition F 1
We may need some information about people in your household who live with you or are listed on your tax return, who do not have Medi-Cal and who do not want to apply for Medi-Cal.Sample MC 216
Please note that, Medi-Cal wants to cover everyone and may go beyond the law to gather information to do that. There are also many other programs that Medi-Cal has that you might qualify for and no one would know unless they asked. Such as:
Scroll down to view Household Size Flow Chart
Guaranteed Issue - No Pre X Clause -
Quote & Subsidy Calculation for
No charge for our services
(f) Household –
Definition (2) Basic rule for individuals
claimed as a tax dependent.
In the case of an individual who expects to be claimed as a tax dependent by another taxpayer for the taxable year in which an initial determination or renewal of eligibility is being made, the household is the household of the taxpayer claiming such individual as a tax dependent,
except that the household must be determined in accordance with paragraph (f)(3) of this section in the case of –
(ii) Individuals under the age specified by the State under paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section who expect to be claimed by one parent as a tax dependent and are living with both parents but whose parents do not expect to file a joint tax return; and
(A) A court order or binding separation, divorce, or custody agreement establishing physical custody controls; or
Plain English FAQ
If an adult is claimed as a tax dependent by their parents, will their parents income count towards the dependent adult’s income for eligibility?
Yes. The adult who expects to be claimed as a tax dependent by his/her parents will have his parents income counted when determining income eligibility under the MAGI methodology. Federal regulatory reference is 42 CFR 435.603(f)(2). dhcs.ca.gov *
(5) For purposes of paragraph (f)(1) of this section, if, consistent with the procedures adopted by the State in accordance with § 435.956(f) of this part, a taxpayer cannot reasonably establish that another individual is a tax dependent of the taxpayer for the tax year in which Medicaid is sought, the inclusion of such individual in the household of the taxpayer is determined in accordance with paragraph (f)(3) of this section. Copied from 42 CFR 435.603 – Application of modified adjusted gross income (MAGI)